• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • Instagram
  • Youtube

Wednesday 17 June 2015

Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences



Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences


During our last class of psychology, Miss N asked us to do an online assessment as our homework to figure out the multiple intelligences that we have. At first, I was quite puzzled as why do I have to do that assessment because I already knew my own strengths and I also believe that most of my classmates already acknowledged about theirs too. However, after I did the assessment, I got to admit that the results were quite shocking!! I never noticed that all of my actions that were asked in the assessment were actually resembled my own strengths that I used to believe that that kind of strengths never existed in me. So, today I would like to share some information regarding these intelligences and also my new strengths that I just discovered throughout the assessment. Oh, if you guys want to know yours, kindly go to this website:
http://www.literacynet.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html

I know that many of us are familiar with the three general categories in which people learn: visual learners, auditory learners, and kinaesthetic learners. Beyond these three general categories, many theories of and approaches toward human potential have been developed. Among them is the theory of multiple intelligences, developed by Howard Gardner, Ph.D., Professor of Education at Harvard University. Gardner’s early work in psychology and later in human cognition and human potential led to the development of the initial six intelligences. Today there are nine intelligences and the possibility of others may eventually expand the list. These intelligences (or competencies) relate to a person’s unique aptitude set of capabilities and ways they might prefer to demonstrate intellectual abilities.

According to Gardner, there are NINE TYPES of INTELLIGENCES in which include:

1. Verbal-linguistic intelligence - well-developed verbal skills and sensitivity to the sounds, meanings and rhythms of words.
2. Logical-mathematical intelligence - ability to think conceptually and abstractly, and capacity to discern logical and numerical patterns. 
3. Spatial-visual intelligence - capacity to think in images and pictures, to visualize accurately and abstractly.
4. Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence - ability to control one’s body movements and to handle objects skillfully.
5. Musical intelligences - ability to produce and appreciate rhythm, pitch and timber.
6. Interpersonal intelligence - capacity to detect and respond appropriately to the moods, motivations and desires of others.
7. Intrapersonal - capacity to be self-aware and in tune with inner feelings, values, beliefs and thinking processes.
8. Naturalist intelligence - ability to recognize and categorize plants, animals and other objects in nature.
9. Existential intelligence - sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence such as, What is the meaning of life? Why do we die? How did we get here? 

Well, basically above are just a brief explanation about the Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences. Now, I would like to share with you my top 3 intelligences.

So, among the nine intelligences according to Gardner, I scored the highest in Body Movement (Kinesthetic) with the score of 4.29 out of 5.00!!!



According to Gardner, a person with this intelligence love to make body movements and has a great ability to control the body movement as compared to others. I must say that I really love to move, dance, swim, and also walk. It seems that my life would be completely
 dull if I couldn't express myself to the fullest as I can. Not to brag much about myself, but I am really good at sports in which I have a well developed motor skills that able me to be great in netball, basketball, and also track-and-field events. With this kind of intelligences, I can read while walking without any difficulties and I can build things using my hands as I have a great deal of physical dexterity. 

Next, my second highest intelligence goes to Intrapersonal (Self) with the score 4.00 out of 5.00.


As said by Gardner, people with intrapersonal intelligence have a good sense of self and I realize that this intelligence has become as a part of my life. For me, it doesn't mean that people with this strengths always prefer to be alone or shut people out of their life because everyone in this world are in need of their own time and people with this intelligence usually are good enough to maintain and control their good sense of self. I like to spend time by myself and think things over as my own self- reflections towards this life. I often prefer to learn alone by trying learning through trial and error because I believe by doing that, I can develop my skills to another higher levels and I can know myself much better than before. I will always acknowledge my weaknesses and I will try to fix them. 

Last but not least,  my other remarkable intelligence is Language (Linguistic) as I scored 3.71 out of 5.00.


Well, of course, Language (Linguistic) intelligence has to do with words, both written and spoken. It describes how people really enjoys to express themselves clearly and easily through essays, articles, books, and debates. As for me, I enjoy talking, hearing, and also hearing words. Sometimes it makes me feel content to have a talk with others and to hear other's stories. One of my most favorite activities to do during my free time is writing down reflections about my life. Whenever I write about my thoughts, I can feel that I am actually expressing myself to the fullest! For me, it feels so satisfying to write down everything that you really want to say and it really help to develop one's critical thinking. With this intelligence, I can enhance my freedom of thinking. 

*****

In the nutshell, you will never know your true colors until you decide to explore and discover them. I am really happy and glad to acknowledge my strengths that will help me to succeed in the future. If Miss N did not tell us to do this assessment, believe me, I will never know my own strengths. I truly believe that when we know which ones come most naturally to us—and which require more conscious effort to develop—we can create strategies for ourselves that will help us to go far toward helping us achieve our  goals. I hope this post will inspire the readers to discover more about themselves. Have a great day ahead.

XOXO, 
Shykeen


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Adress/Street

12 Street West Victoria 1234 Australia

Phone number

+(12) 3456 789

Website

www.johnsmith.com